In most cases, permits are required for an LED Digital Outdoor sign. Which agency has juristiction depends on the location of the sign.
Located on a provincial highway? ...
The Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) is responsible for managing the provincial highway corridor network.
If you are planning to erect or alter a sign or advertising device on a property within 400m (¼ mile) of any provincial highway right-of-way, you may require a permit. There are certain restrictions as to setback, size and location, that are considered when issuing sign permits.
MTO London Office - Ministry of Transportation, Highway Corridor Management Section
659 Exeter Rd., London, ON N6E 1L3 Phone: 519-873-4203 Toll Free: 1-800-265-6072
To find out if you require a MTO permit, complete the permit application wizard. (clickable link)
MTO offers streamlined permitting services through its online permit portal. (clickable link)
In addition to applying for a permit using MTO’s online services, you can also perform the following functions:
- Track a permit application - view the progress and status of a permit application
- Make a payment - pay your billing statement online by credit card (Visa, Visa Debit, MasterCard, or Debit Mastercard) or by Interac Online
- Submit an inquiry - contact Highway Corridor Management staff with site-specific questions
- Submit post-construction information - submit as-built drawings and construction completion date for encroachment permits involving utilities
- View permit controlled areas - determine if you are in the controlled area by entering the location and type of proposed activity
If your business is located within a city, town or municipality ....
Contact your local municipality which is responsible for issuing Sign Permits.
In most cases you will need to contact the Building Department.
Here is a partial list of contacts:
Goderich - 57 West St., Goderich, ON N7A 2K5 519-524-8344 Jason Dykstra - Chief Building Official
Hanover - 341 10th St., Hanover, ON N4N 1P5 519-364-2780 Don Tedford (ext 1227) or Brenda Goetz (ext 1222)
Kincardine - 1475 Concession 5, RR#5, Kincardine, ON N2Z 2X7 519-396-3468 Building Department (ext 2)
Listowel - Municipality of North Perth, 330 Wallace Ave. N., Listowel, ON N4W 1L3 519-292-2058 Ed Podniewicz
Town of Minto - 5941 Hwy 89, RR1, Harriston, ON N0G 1Z0 519-338-2511 Terrry Kuipers, Chief Building Official
Owen Sound - 808 2nd Ave E., Owen Sound, ON N4K 2H4 519-376-1440 Building Dept. (ext 1234)
Saugeen Shores - 600 Tomlinson Dr., PO Box 820 Port Elgin, ON N0H 2C0 519-832-2008 Building Dept. (ext 118)
Wellington Township - 7490 Sideroad 7 W., PO Box 125, Kenilworth, ON N0G 2E0 519-848-3620 Darren Jones - Chief Building Official